Not everyone always has easy access to multiple testing devices. As a solution to limited real-time testing capabilities, Google introduced Firebase Test Lab, a collection of testing tools that allows you to test apps on devices hosted in a Google data center.
What can Firebase Test Lab do:
1- Run Robo Test: Robo Test analyzes the structure of your app’s UI. It explores the app methodically, crawling automatically into the app, simulating user activities.
2 –Instrumentation Test: Test Lab lets you run Espresso and UI Automator 2.0 instrumentation tests written to exercise your app from the Firebase console, Android Studio, or the g-cloud command line interface.
3- Game Loop Test: Testing games has presented a host of challenges for testers. Test lab provides a solution to many of these challenges with game loop test.
(Note: We’re going to focus primarily on Robo Test, which requires zero coding.)
- Set up an account in firebase https://firebase.google.com/.
- Create a new Project (e.g. CloudTest).
Select Test type (For beginners, start with Robo Test)
- Upload your test APK file or script, in case you want to customize your test flow.
Upload your test APK ( try apkpure.com )
- Select the devices and API levels appropriate for app testing.
***Please note there is a quota on device usage as per plan- Free plan provides a daily quota of 5 physical and 10 virtual device test executions that is refreshed at (12AM PST)***
- Select targeted orientation and locale.
- Switch to Advance option > Set test timeout execution> Set Test depth coverage
Please note: if your app has a login page, test crawler will not be able to crawl inside the app until login credential is not pre-set.
Set Test credentials as follows:
- Enter Username Resource = edit_login_email , Enter username- rtiwari
- Enter Password Resource = edit_login_password, Enter password- qwerty123
- Note: Use UiAutomatorViewer to get resource id or bug your developer to get the R.id 🙂
Start the test!
Run the Test
- Now you can sit back while Firebase tests your app.
- The test matrix results contain Logs, Activity maps , Screenshots ,Videos and Performance matrices.
- Also, we can run Firebase Test Lab from Firebase Console, G Cloud CLI, and with CI system.
- You will be notified when your test is complete!