While you’re waiting for Lollipop to land on your device, let our panel of Android and iOS experts entertain you with their unique takes on Google’s latest confectionary operating system. Treat your ears to some sweet insights, predictions, and playful banter that will appeal to mobile users of all platforms.
Player not loading? Listen from Soundcloud.
1:55 – What’s in a name?
7:24 – Android developer previews
- Limited device release
- Compatibility library
- Why did it take Google so long?
- Previews as a daily driver
13:21 – What is Material Design?
- Cross-platform capabilities
- Taking design back to the basics
- Android L & iOS 7 redesigns
- Building consistency
- Chase Bank Material Design
- Google’s passive-aggressive push
20:24 – Adoption rates
- The nasty “F” word
- OEM update schedules
- Using Older OS with Material Design
- iOS 8 slowdown
- iOS 8 February 1st cutoff
- iOS 7 vs iOS 8 for devs
28:12 – The growing importance of design for devs
- Yay animations
- Google Inbox
- Users come first
30:23 – Material beyond mobile
- Material is more Google than Android
- Should Material Design be applied everywhere?
- Platform-agnostic apps
- Material Design on every screen
- ADT-1 Developer Kit
- Material as a metaphor
- Visual styling vs interaction
35:50 – “Can we talk features?”
- Tap & Go
- Render thread
- Overview Menu
- Screen pinning
45:25 – What do iOS devs think of Lollipop?
- Design “gotchas”
- Elliott’s Inbox article
53:50 – Will Android and iOS become one?
- Wearable battleground
- What will the OS of the future look like?
- Devices = differentiators
- The commoditization of OSs
- Tesco Tablet
- OSs fueling purchasing decisions
- Loosening ecosystem control
1:04:16 – What’s next for Android after L?
- Chrome OS
- Android One
Tech Table is where we throw Android, iOS, and Web experts into a room and lock the doors until we’ve recorded a rigorous discussion about the latest and greatest technological innovations. If you’re looking for passionate discourses regarding smartphones, wearables, and emerging tech that hasn’t even been conceived yet, take a seat and listen to our panelists verbally duke it out in hi-fi sound.
You can subscribe to our podcast RSS feed here or via FeedBurner.